With your Constant Contact account, you have the ability to take information directly from the profiles in your database and create or update lists in Constant Contact to use when sending e-mail messages.
If you do not see a Tab for Constant Contact on the Communicator, you'll need your WebLink Administrator to enter your account information. Have them go to Admin > Set Preferences > Application Settings > Email Providers and make sure you have a Constant Contact username and password entered, LIKE THIS:
Once you have entered your Constant Contact account information, follow the steps below to upload lists of your member's information to the Constant Contact program. You will notice a majority of the steps are quite similar to composing and sending a standard Mass Communication message through the database.
- Go to Communication > Send Mass Communication
- To choose the member profiles which will be uploaded, click the 'To' button to the left of the screen. You will be taken to the Profile Selector screen, and can navigate throughout the tabs to find your member information
- Once you have your desired profiles in the data grid, right click and choose the 'Select All' option. Then, click the Select button to be taken back to the Mass Communication screen
- You will want to make sure all of the 'Send Email' flags are marked to your recipients (to do this, right click inside of the data grid and choose the 'Set All Send Email Flags').
- Alternatively, you can used the Profile Selector to preview desired profiles and use the right-click 'Email' options to load profiles into the Communicator.
- After these steps, skip directly to the Constant Contact tab (this should be the last tab on the right)
- You have two choices: 'Create new list' or 'Replace an existing list.'
- To create a new list, first chose the radio button next to 'Create new list' (chosen by default). Then give the list a name which you will remember for ease of finding and using in Constant Contact, such as 'Full Membership List' or 'All members with more than 25 employees.' Then click Upload List to Constant Contact. You will be prompted that your list is currently being uploaded and you will be asked if you would like to open Constant Contact's website so you can log in and continue working.
- To replace an existing list, first chose radio button next to 'Replace existing list.' This will activate a drop down box that contains all of your existing lists in Constant Contact. Choose the list you want to update, and then click 'Upload List to Constant Contact.'
Note: Your list in Constant Contact will be completely overwritten with the profiles you have loaded into the Communicator. You will be prompted that your list is currently being uploaded and you will be asked if you would like to open Constant Contact's website so you can log in and continue working.
Additional Profile Information in Constant Contact
In addition to uploading your profiles' email addresses to Constant Contact, WebLink automatically uploads other profile contact information for you, including:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Home Phone
- Address, City, State, ZIP
- Company information (Organizations flagged as that individual's Main Contact)
- Job Title
- Work Phone
- Encrypted ProfileID (Stored in Constant Contact's Custom Field #2)
Having these additional fields associated with the email addresses in your list can help you more easily determine which members and organizations are viewing your emails when you use Constant Contact's reports.
About Special Links
Update: special links cannot be used in Constant Contact's third generation template editor. If you are using the latest version of Constant Contact template editor, you can still use special links by using one of the following 2 methods.
- If you have older emails sent through Constant Contact that were built in a previous version of the template editor, you can create a copy of one of those old emails, and the copy will open in the older template editor. That should allow you to use the links.
- You can also still create custom coded emails in Constant Contact using XHTML instead of the template editor. You can access this by going to Campaigns and clicking Create > Email > Custom Code (at the top). When prompted, choose XHTML as the email format. When building the email, make sure to leave the "Open Tracking" xhtml tag in the email or it will not be able to track email opens. In this editing mode, there is also a link to the users guide at the top of the screen that will help with how to use the code editor.
Using Special Links
You will notice on the Constant Contact Tab there is a section in the middle of the screen which features links able to be used in Constant Contact when sending messages. Currently, these links are set for Online Payments, Profile Update, Referral Report, Affiliation Update and Portal Login. When you use one of these links, as long as you have created the list through the database as outlined above, the members receiving your e-mails will have access to these areas on your website. For instance, if you were to use the Profile Update link, the member would be taken directly to their profile information in your Members Only section to update their information. The changes will be sent to your database as normal.
Note that these special links will only work when creating emails in Constant Contact's legacy template editor (not the "third generation" editor). The links will not work if you create emails as HTML in an external program and copy/paste the code into Constant Contact.
This feature is included or available for purchase with the following WebLink Connect packages.