How do I build and run a custom query using the Data Export/Reporting Tool?
From the Reports menu, you can build a Query by choosing the fields you'd like to see, the criteria for what data to find, and the sort order for the data. This can then be saved and/or exported.
1. In the main menu, go to Reports > Data Export/Reporting Tool.
2. Click Create a New Query.
3. Choose the group of data you would like to work with. Each data group contains many database fields in the area indicated: for example, the Events data group shows all fields found within an event.
4. An alphabetical list of all fields within that data group appears. Check the box next to the fields you would like to see displayed in your Query, then click Add Selected Fields.
5. Click Next: Set Filters.
6. On the Filters screen, you will add filters to determine which data you want to see - for example, only members, or only attendees from a certain event, or only invoices with a balance greater than $0. You can filter the data based on any of the fields in the data group. Start by choosing the field by which you would like to filter.
7. Set the Operator dropdown to Equal To, Starts With, Contains, etc. depending on what you are searching for.
8. Enter your criteria. This will mean typing in text/numbers if the field you are filtering by is a text field (like Profile Status or Zip Code), selecting a date if it is a date field (like Member Since date), or even simply choosing 'true' or 'false' if it is a checkbox field (like the Member checkbox).
9. You can add as many additional filters for your Query as necessary, then click Next: Set Sort Order.
10. Click Add Sort to choose the field by which you want your Query sorted, and whether you want it in Ascending or Descending order. You can add additional Sort fields if you would like to have secondary (etc.) sorting.
11. Click Next: Preview Data.
12. Your data is displayed in the datagrid, with a record count at the top.
13. To export this data, click Go at the bottom right of the screen. It will export to a CSV (Comma Separated Value) file that simply opens in Excel. You can then work with it and save it in Excel.
14. If you would like to save this Query, click Save Query for Future Use. You will be saving the fields, filters and sort order to run again in the future and get an updated list.
15. Enter a Query Name and Description. By default the Query will be assigned to you, but you can change this to another user or All Users if you prefer.
16. Click Save.
All saved Queries that are assigned to you are displayed in the My Saved Queries section of the Data Export/Reporting Tool. You can also access your save queries on the My Saved Queries home sceen on your 'Home' tab.